This page was last updated on May 10, 2003
Friday, May 9, 2003
On Jan. 10, 1963, Congressman Albert S. Herlong Jr. of Florida read a list =
45 Communist goals into the Congressional Record. The list was derived from
researcher Cleon Skousen=E2=80=99s book =E2=80=9CThe Naked Communist.=E2=80=
=9D These principles are
well worth revisiting today in order to gain insights into the thinking and
strategies of much of our so-called liberal elite.
1. U.S. should accept coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
2. U.S. should be willing to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic
These encapsulate the Kennan Doctrine, which advocated for the "containment=
of communism. Establishment figures supporting the amoral containment polic=
at least implicitly worked with the communists in scaring the wits out of t=
American people concerning atomic war.
President Ronald Reagan undid the doctrine when he took an aggressive stand
against the Evil Empire by backing freedom fighters from around the world
that were struggling against the left-wing communist jackboot. As a result,
the Soviet Union and its satellites imploded, a considerable and unexpected
setback to the international communist edifice.
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament by the U.S. would be a
demonstration of "moral strength."
The nuclear freeze advocates supported a freeze on American nuclear
development only. Rarely were Soviet nukes or those of other nations
mentioned in their self-righteous tirades. The same advocates now call for
reducing American military might, claiming that there is something immoral
about America preserving its military pre-eminence in the world.
4. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliatio=
and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
Today, there are calls to end the embargo on the slave island of Cuba, ther=
were complaints about the embargo against Iraq, and the U.S., not Saddam
Hussein, was blamed for the suffering of the Iraqi people. Would they have
advocated for free trade with Hitler and his National Socialist regime?
5. Extend long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
6. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
Such aid and trade over decades contributed greatly to the left-wing
communist liquidation of over 100 million people worldwide, according to th=
well-documented "Black Book of Communism."
This aid and trade marks a shameful chapter in American history. Without th=
aid and trade, the left-wing international communist behemoth would have
imploded on its own rot a lot sooner and umpteen millions would have been
saved from poverty, misery, starvation and death.
7. Grant recognition of Red China and admission of Red China to the U.N.
Not only did President Jimmy Carter fulfill this goal but he also betrayed
America=E2=80=99s allies in Nicaragua, El Salvador, Iran, Afghanistan, Ango=
8. Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev's
promise in 1955 to settle the Germany question by free elections under
supervision of the U.N.
9. Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the U.S. has agreed =
suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
10. Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is
rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own
independent armed forces.
There are still American intellectuals, and elected members of Congress, wh=
dream of an eventual one world government and who view the U.N., founded by
communists such as Alger Hiss, the first secretary-general, as the instrume=
to bring this about.
World government was also the dream of Adolf Hitler and J.V. Stalin. World
government was the dream of Osama bin Laden and the 9/11 hijackers.
12. Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
13. Do away with loyalty oaths.
14. Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
While the idea of banning any political party runs contrary to notions of
American freedom and liberty, notions that are the exact opposite of those
held by the left-wing communists themselves, nevertheless these goals sough=
to undermine the constitutional obligation of Congress to investigate
subversion. The weakening of our government=E2=80=99s ability to conduct su=
investigations led to the attack of 9/11.
It is entirely proper and appropriate for our government to expect employee=
paid by the American taxpayer, to take an oath of loyalty.
15. Capture one or both of the political parties in the U.S.
In his book "Reagan=E2=80=99s War," Peter Schweizer demonstrates the astoni=
degree to which communists and communist sympathizers have penetrated the
Democratic Party. In his book, Schweizer writes about the presidential
election of 1979.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American
institutions, by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
This strategy goes back to the founding of the American Civil Liberties Uni=
by Fabian Socialists Roger Baldwin and John Dewey and Communists William Z.
Foster and Elizabeth Gurley Flynn among others.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for Socialis=
and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of
teachers associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
18. Gain control of all student newspapers.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or
organizations that are under Communist attack.
The success of these goals, from a communist perspective, is obvious. Is
there any doubt this is so?
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book review assignments, editorial
writing, policy-making positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV & motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all form of artisti=
expression. An American Communist cell was told to "eliminate all good
sculpture from parks and buildings," substituting shapeless, awkward and
23. Control art critics and directors of art museums. " Our plan is to
promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art."
24.Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them "censorship" and =
violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and
obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as "normal, natural a=
This is the Gramscian agenda of the "long march through the institutions"
spelled out explicitly: gradual takeover of the "means of communication" an=
then using those vehicles to debauch the culture and weaken the will of the
individual to resist.
Today those few who still have the courage to advocate public morality are
denounced and viciously attacked. Most Americans are entirely unwitting
regarding the motives behind this agenda.
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with "social"
religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual
maturity, which does not need a "religious crutch."
This has been largely accomplished through the communist infiltration of th=
National Council of Churches, Conservative and Reform Judaism, and the
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on
the grounds that it violates the principle of "separation of church and
Replacing belief in the creator with belief in the earthly man-controlled
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old
fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation betwee=
nations on a worldwide basis.
And replace our nation of "laws, not men" with royal decree emanating from
appointed judges and executive orders. Replace elected officials with
30. Discredit the American founding fathers. Present them as selfish
aristocrats who had no concern for the "common man."
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of
American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of "the big
picture." Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took
Obliterating the American past, with its antecedents in principles of
freedom, liberty and private ownership is a major goal of the communists th=
32. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any par=
of the culture =E2=80=93 education, social agencies, welfare programs, ment=
Public ownership of the means of production, the core principle of
33. Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of
the Communist apparatus.
34. Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
35. Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
36. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
37. Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
Turn America into a socialist police state.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencie=
Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but
psychiatrists can understand or treat.
The Soviets used to send "social misfits" and those deemed politically
incorrect to massive mental institutions called gulags. The Red Chinese cal=
them lao gai. Hitler called them concentration camps.
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a mea=
of gaining coercive control over those who oppose communist goals.
Psychiatry remains a bulwark of the communist agenda of fostering
self-criticism and docility.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy
Done! The sovereign family is the single most powerful obstacle to
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence o=
parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to
suppressive influence of parents.
Outcome-based education, values clarification or whatever they=E2=80=99re c=
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate
aspects of the American tradition; that students and special interest group=
should rise up and make a "united force" to solve economic, political or
This describes the dialectical fostering of group consciousness and conflic=
which furthers the interests of authoritarianism.
43. Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready
The results of this successful campaign are increasingly obvious in the wor=
44. Internationalize the Panama Canal.
45. Repeal the Connally Reservation so the U.S. cannot prevent the World
Court from seizing jurisdiction over domestic problems. Give the World Cour=
jurisdiction over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction over
nations and individuals alike.
This would mark a complete subversion of our Constitution and an end to
representative sovereign government as we know it, which is the whole idea.
Chuck Morse is a radio talk show host at WROL in Boston.
E-mail Chuck click here